Credit: Eve Roytshteyn, MLB.com
Monday, October 8, 7:00 p.m.
One Last Strike: Fifty Years in Baseball, Ten and a Half Games Back, and One Final Championship Season
Tony La Russa managed the St. Louis Cardinals from 1996 to 2011, as well as the Oakland A's and the Chicago White Sox. With six Pennants, three World Series wins, five Manager of the Year awards, and thirty-three years of experience under his belt, Tony La Russa is one of the most renowned managers in all of baseball. In his first ever memoir, the now-retired baseball legend takes readers inside the dugout for one of the most dramatic World Series of all time.
ONE LAST STRIKE includes:
- NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN MATERIAL THAT FANS WILL DIE FOR. Included in the book will be La Russa’s annotated dugout lineup cards from Game 6 of the World Series, and pitching coach Dave Duncan’s original pitching charts with play-by-play analysis of extraordinary batter Chipper Jones.
- PERSONAL LOOKS AT SOME OF THE MOST FAMOUS NAMES IN BASEBALL. Players like Albert Pujols, Mark McGwire, Joe Torre, David Freese, Charley Lau, Chris Carpenter, Lou Pinella, and Sparky Anderson.
- THE STRATEGY BEHIND LA RUSSA’S CONTROVERSIAL BULLPEN DECISIONS. La Russa reveals his pitching strategies, a cornerstone of the Cardinals’ success and the one of the most talked-about aspects of his management. Offering a new perspective on the game, La Russa helps readers understand baseball in a whole new way with this unprecedented access into the strategic mind of the third-winningest manager of all time.
- BUSINESS AND LEADERSHIP LESSONS FOR EVERY INDUSTRY. La Russa’s managerial strategies at the highest levels of decision-making in professional sports, an over $150 billion dollar a year industry (2011), apply to anyone who needs to motivate people, innovate, or lead.
- ALL THE ADRENALINE OF GAMETIME. La Russa re-enacts some of the most action-packed games in his time managing, revealing all the high-risk decision-making, the constant calculation, and the psychological intensity of some of baseball’s most historic moments—including, of course, the 2011 World Series.
- FOR ALL BASEBALL FANS, REGARDLESS OF TEAM AFFILIATION. Not only did La Russa have long tenures with both the Chicago White Sox and the Oakland A’s, but he is widely admired and respected by the MLB establishment and fans alike for his innovative managing.
- MANAGING PLAYERS IN TODAY’S MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS INDUSTRY. La Russa’s strategies for dealing with all the chaos that comes with the barrage of media, multi-million dollar contracts, and intense scrutiny in professional sports today.
Tony and his wife, Elaine, founded the Tony La Russa Animal Rescue Foundation in Walnut Creek, CA.
NOTE: Tony will ONLY sign copies of One Last Strike (up to 3 copies per person). He will not be signing any memorabilia; sorry, folks. Please do not bring photos, bats, balls, etc.
Longtime baseball manager never gave up, never gave in
Posted: 10/02/2012 11:27:56 PM PDT