Book Buyer & Inventory Manager at Kepler's BooksKepler's Books in Menlo Park has an opening for a Book Buyer & Inventory Manager for general books. We're looking for an experienced buyer with a passion for books who will work with our booksellers to find new and creative ways to get people excited about books. The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of books, a passion for engaging with readers, a turn for analytics and metric thinking, a knack for team-oriented leadership and a constant attention to detail.
This is a full time position with competitive compensation and health benefits. This position offers the opportunity to help shape the future of a world-renowned bookstore.
Interested? Here's what some of the job looks like:
- Coordinate and manage a collaborative buying program with input from a team of booksellers and event managers.
- Overall responsibility for frontlist buying, backlist re-ordering, and carrying great stock of books.
- Manage inventory based on store's mission, historic sales, staff interest, and metrics.
- Manage relationships with book publishers.
- Collaborate with store managers to schedule and implement inventory-related operations, including returns and section management.
- Support booksellers and event managers for planning and implementing displays and store promotions, events, book reviews, and develop new and creative programs to get people excited about books.
Ideal candidates will have/be:
- Previous experience working in a bookstore.
- Deep knowledge of books, passion for reading and sharing your passion with others.
- Open to exploring new business models for bookstores.
- Outgoing personality, strong social skills, and public speaking skills.
- Creativity married to an obsession with details, and loads of initiative.
- Attentive to detail, meticulous, & comfortable performing repetitive tasks.
- Self-starting, and be able to work without much direction.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Process oriented with a bias for tracking metrics/analytics.
- Enthusiasm for a diverse catalog of literary events.
- Collaborative and comfortable working in a team oriented environment.
- Able to lift boxes of books weighing up to 50 lbs.
- We use Ibid-IE as a POS system, so experience with that is a plus.
- A college degree in literature, creative writing, education or a related field is a plus as well.
Applications must include a resume and a cover letter, which should address the following questions:
- What's your vision for the role of a book buyer in a community bookstore that's based in the heart of Silicon Valley and that serves a highly literate and tech savvy audience?
- What was the last book you really loved and why?
Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview. Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kepler's was founded in May 1955 by peace activist Roy Kepler. For 58 years, Kepler's has been the intellectual and cultural hub for the San Francisco peninsula. Kepler's is known for its outstanding literary events, knowledgeable staff, its broad selection of books and magazines, and for its deep ties to the community.
Kepler's went through a planned transition in 2012 during which the business was re-started in a hybrid business model that includes a for-profit community-supported bookstore and a nonprofit events organization. Kepler's vision is to continuously innovate to create a model community bookstore for the future that can be a sustainable cultural institution. More information about Kepler's recent transition can be viewed at www.keplers2020.com
Kepler's management team continues to be guided by its founder's mission to open minds, deepen literacy, and promote critical thinking. More information about Kepler's can be viewed at www.keplers.com